Attaching a garage she.;d to a building is a very practical decision. It helps in improving the resale value of the house. Garage shed can be used for various things apart from storing vehicle like a garden shed, carport, storage structure etc. There are various types of garage sheds but firstly a homeowner must know how to get the perfect garage shed for his/her vehicle. Below are some tips for choosing the right one.
- Space Available – The first thing to check is space, if vacant area is available to build a garage shed, and is it sufficient enough. Garage sheds require large amount of space. With appropriate available space, a large and multipurpose shed can be built. There can be remaining space after fitting a car that can be used to store other things.
- Climate in The Region – Another factor to consider is climate in the particular region. According to whether appropriate materials are to be chosen to build the garage shed. In snowy or rainy areas, the garage sheds must have a top covering due to which the rain or snow skids from the top of the shed. In windy areas the garage shed must have a low slope, flat covering to withstand the wind better.
- Budget – Budget is a very important factor. The first step is to get an estimate about the cost of building the garage shed. Many companies offer kits for garage sheds to make custom build sheds. People can take estimates or quotations from those companies to determine if it’s under budget or not.
- Contractor Skills – For making a garage shed a credible and reputable contractor in the locality must be hired. Reading reviews and gathering details through customer feedbacks can help a lot to know about the contractor. The homeowner has to learn about the background of the team like whether they are trustworthy as they constantly will be working on the property during the construction process.
Before buying a garage shed, the homeowner should know to make effective comparisons.
- Compartments and Dimensions – The person should know how big the garage should be depending upon the size of vehicle as well as number of vehicles to accommodate. There should be space enough to walk around the car. A cabinet can be made to store accessories. Height is also important factor. There should be appropriate distance between car’s roof and the building’s roof. If there is more than one car, then dividing the inner space into separate compartments should be wise.
- Roof Design – Most of the garage sheds have a traditional gable or apex roof over a flat shed which is also recommended for a garage shed. This type of roof allows the drainage of rainwater very easily which prevents any collection of debris or water on the floor. This adds more life to the shed as well as the car also remains protected.
- Material – The material is very important. Garage sheds can be made from wood or plastic or metal. Wood is beautiful and versatile but requires maintenance for durability and strength. Metal sheds are fire and rust resistant and require very less maintenance. Plastic can last for many years, but it loses its appeal over time.
- Windows and Doors – The main door should be large. There are various types of door options like rolling doors and double doors etc. A small door can be made at the back for convenience. Windows should be made wisely for proper ventilation and to prevent heating of the cars. The windows should also be properly secured.
Source: Melissa Hamler